Getting our rail manufacturing industry back on track
Australia’s rail manufacturing sector supports economic growth, connects communities and helps develop sustainable cities and regions.
But governments, industry and the research community have highlighted many challenges facing the rail manufacturing sector.
The National Rail Procurement and Manufacturing Strategy will help to address these challenges.
Part of the National Rail Manufacturing Plan, the strategy highlights opportunities to build and maintain sustainable high-quality trains in Australia.
It outlines actions under 6 themes:
- develop a nationally coordinated approach to rolling stock procurement
- harmonise standards for manufacturing rolling stock
- adopt a national local content approach
- maximise opportunities for freight and heavy haul rail manufacturing
- improve research and innovation outcomes in the rail sector
- establish the foundation for good jobs and rewarding careers in rail manufacturing.
The Office of National Rail Coordination (ONRIC) will lead the implementation of the strategy with the support of the National Rail Manufacturing Advocate and the Rail Industry Innovation Council.